of Shalstone is named Celdestane in the Domesday Book and was given to
Bishop Odo of Bayeux - half brother of William the Conqueror - along with
Luffield Abbey, near Silverstone. There has been a church in Shalstone
since 1195 when the first Rector was instituted.
The present church originates from the 14th Century but was rebuilt in 1862 by George Gilbert-Scott, the renowned architect. Several features of the old church were preserved; the stone pillars to the north side of the name and the windows to the north aisle, which originally appeared in the south aisle. At the eastern end of the north aisle of the present church is a brass to Dame Susan Kyngestone, vowess, who died in 1333. This is tangible proof that a church has stood at the entrance of this very small village for several centuries.
We have recently completed major restoration work to dangerous and damaged stonework on the church tower, and replacement of the leadwork in the tower roof. We have applied for a Faculty to repair our bells (which are in too bad a state to ring at present), and hope to start this work in October 2003. We also hope to replace the South Aisle Roof which has been leaking for many years.
Return to West Buckingham Benefice page